Emerging from the depths of forest, the awe-struck PC suddenly beholds the breathtaking sight of Castle Joyeous, Malecasta’s opulent residence, rising formidably from a spacious green plain. After the battle on the plain, the six knights lead the PC inside of the castle. Upon entering the palace’s walls, the traveler finds himself in a great luxurious chamber, its walls and pillars crafted from pure gold and beset with sparkling jewels. Beautifully crafted tapestries adorn the chamber’s walls, depicting the myth of Adonis and Venus’s passionate romance.
The knights usher the enamored player down the length of hallway to a large door at the opposite end. Approaching the door, the PC can hear the faint notes of a distant song and the din of lively chatter, growing ever louder. In the next room, richly attired damsels and squires swirl across the marble dance floor to the soft, undulating beats of a sensual melody. Wine and spirits flow freely. Spanning the center of the feasting hall stands a long golden table, upon which an abundant banquet is spread—plates heaping with braised meats and exotic fruits and mouthwatering pastries.
Awestruck, the PC stands and quietly beholds the magnificent delights of opulent hall, but the knights break him from his state of wonderment and lead him over to the fireplace, where a dark, sinister beauty sits on a sumptuous high-backed chair, her blood-red lips tightly pursed into a sly grin. The PC is then introduced to this captivating enchantress, whose name is Malecasta. The lady of Castle Joyeous, Malecasta is lustful, wanton, and dangerously beautiful. As she regards the PC, her black eyes shine with an amused, almost lustful glint.
At last, night has befallen the castle, and all the guests retire to their bedchambers. Malecasta’s personal bodyguard courteously leads the PC into a comfortable-sized guest room with a large four-poster bed. The PC climbs under the covers and immediately lapses into a sound slumber. In the middle of the night, the door of the bedchamber creaks open, and Malecasta, clad in a white nightgown, slips quietly into the darkness of the room. Slowly and silently, a lustful gleam in her eye, she creeps toward the bed, where the NPC continues to doze in sweet oblivion. When she reaches the bed, she carefully lifts the bedcover, her fingers trembling with animal, greedy desire, and peers under the sheets.
The PC, sensing Malecasta’s presence, leaps up in a state of disheveled shock and instinctively grabs his sword, brandishing it aloft. Upon seeing the sharp weapon, glistening in the silken moonlight streaming in from the window, Malecasta omits a loud, ghastly scream that pierces the silence of the sleeping castle. Immediately, the six knights rush in, and a confrontation ensues in the darkness of the bedchamber. The PC must successfully defeat the six knights in order to leave Castle Joyeous.
I. The Lover’s Quarrel
Quest Items: The love note
- Goal 1: Speak to the suspicious female reveler who will prompt the PC to spy on her allegedly unfaithful husband
- Goal 2: Search the couple’s bedchamber, finding the love note addressed to the mistress of the castle
- Goal 3: Speak to the suspicious female reveler’s husband
- At this point the suspicious female reveler’s husband will offer the player monetary compensation in return for the love note. The player can…
- Goal 4 A: Give the note to the husband and receive a gold reward and negative chastity
- Goal 4 B: Refuse the husband’s offer and give the note to the suspicious female reveler, gaining positive chastity
II. Mistress of the Castle
Quest Items: The Bedchamber Key (This key will allow the PC to access the guest bedchamber)
- Goal 1: Speak to Malecasta’s personal bodyguard to discuss the background of Castle Joyeous
- Goal 2: Speak to Malecasta and receive the bedchamber key (Malecasta will attempt to seduce the player)
- Goal 3: Follow Malecasta’s personal bodyguard to the guest bedchamber
Bodyguard: Welcome, fair knight, to Castle Joyeous. The fair lady who sits before you is the keeper of this grand residence. Her name is Malecasta, and she is renowned throughout the land for her unparalleled, rare beauty and unmatched charms. No mortal man can resist her temptations.
PC: ‘Tis an honor you meet you, my lady.
Malecasta: Ah, fair knight, the pleasure—I can assure you—is all mine. Please, take refuge for the night in the castle; we have many spare rooms. It is fast growing dark, and at this most uncertain hour it would not be prudent to wander outside among the night’s shadowy dangers.
PC: Thank you, my lady. Your hospitably is most appreciated.
Malecasta: A good knight deserves hospitable treatment. Here, take this—it is the key to your bedchamber. My manservant will lead you there. Have a sound and restful sleep, my knight.
When the PC accepts the key the queen’s bodyguard should begin walking to the guest bedchamber. This will ensure the player promptly follows the storyline. Once the player has entered the bedchamber a cutscene begins in which the player climbs into bed and falls asleep. While the PC is sleeping, Malecasta enters the bedchamber and approaches the bed. The PC awakes, grabbing his sword, and Malecasta lets out a scream.
III. Flight from Castle Joyeous
- Goal 1: Find Redcrosse (at this point Redcrosse will join the player’s party)
- Goal 2: Return to the guest bedchamber and battle the six knights with the assistance of Redcrosse
- Goal 3: Exit Castle Joyeous
Quest notes: When the player awakes and brandishes their sword, Malecasta should be trembling, about to faint. Redcrosse should be standing directly outside of the bedchamber and should join the player’s party. The encounter with the knights should be rather difficult and should take place within the bedchamber.
In addition, we would like to implement a basic morality system. Certain actions taken by the PC will result in a change of morality. A player’s morality alignment will affect interactions with NPCs. A given player’s moral alignment will determine conversational options.
NPCS to be added:
Anna Dickens & Zack Goldman
- Should originally spawn in dining hall and later follow the PC upstairs into the guest bedchamber
- 6 six knights
- These are the same 6 six knights that the player encounters on the plain outside of the castle. They should initially lead the player into the castle following the confrontation on the plain.
- Malecasta’s bodyguard